Saturday, July 13, 2013

RECYCLING ARCs: GIVE 'EM TO KIDS WHO NEED 'EM

What is an ARC?

Advanced Reader Copies are paperback pre-release versions of books that publishers send out to reveiwers. If you're a blogger, you know how quickly ARCs can pile up. You can't legally sell them, and libraries can't accept donated ARCs. You can pass only so many along to friends and family. So what do you do with them?

My answer is BOOKROOTS.


BOOKROOTS is a non-profit organization located in Los Angeles, CA that puts books into the hands of at-risk teens, like kids in juvenile hall, the foster care system, or are just living in poverty. These kids have few personal belongings, and too often don't have a single book to call their own. Research has shown that access to books increases literacy, which positively impacts kids lives in many different ways.

The way it works is volunteers visit various locations throughout Los Angeles where they can best reach these kids. They display donated books according to genre. Every teen gets to choose two books to take home with them--for keeps.

Cornelia Funke, author of the Inkheart Series, Dragon Rider, and Reckless is a strong supporter of BOOKROOTS.  How can you get involved?  Simple. Donate those used ARCs or any new or gently used Young Adult or Adult book. My son, Marc, is planning to host a massive book drive for BOOKROOTS this fall as an Eagle Scout project. If you'd like to help him out send me an email (laurisawhitereyes at yahoo dot com) and I'll tell you where you can ship your books. Or you can donate them directly by shipping them to the following address.  Just make sure you include a note stating that the books are for BOOKROOTS:

BookRoots
c/o Children's Book World
10580 1/2 Pico Cyn. Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90064

BOOKROOTS will also take monetary donations.

So next time your bookshelves are filled to overflowing, consider sharing them with kids who really need them. Pass them along to BOOKROOTS. Thanks.

4 comments:

  1. Great idea, Laurisa. I'll have to consider this for some of my ARCs I don't need. I do donate most of them to my daughter's old middle school, which is one of the poorer ones in our district.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like to think that for every person there is that one book or character that will change their life. They just don't know it yet. I wonder if there's something like this here in the UK

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a cool charity. I'll have to search my bookshelves. cheers

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an excellent idea. Once I start to get some ARCs flowing in, I will be certain to keep this in mind!

    ReplyDelete