Sunday, May 31, 2015

BATTLE OF THE BOOKS COVERS!




I have a thing for book covers. As the editor in chief Middle Shelf Magazine, I get to see pretty much every book cover of every middle grade book. Some fall a little flat. Some completely WOW! me. Today I am sort of in the middle.

When I first saw PAPER THINGS (Candlewick, 2/15) by Jennifer Richard Jacobson, I was moved by the simplicity of this cover. The white paper cutouts of the crescent moon and the house, the unadorned font for the title and author name. It struck me immediately as having an important and heartfelt story to tell.

Then I spotted WATCH THE SKY (Disney, 4/15) by Kirsten Hubbard, and I thought...huh...

Hubbard's book has essentially the same layout as Jacobson's book, down to the "house" image at center bottom and the stars in the background. The font is a bit more unique, with the diminishing size. I like it. I like them both.

What do you think sets these covers apart? Are they too similar for your tastes? Leave a comment below and tell me what you think.


Watch the SkyPaper Things



No comments:

Post a Comment