Wednesday, June 10, 2015

KRISTA VAN DOLZER Interviewed by Michelle I. Mason

Interview with  Krista Van Dozler, author of THE SOUND OF LIFE AND EVERYTHING.

1. It’s fantastic how you seamlessly wove in historical tidbits that adults have probably heard somewhere–for example, that the general public didn’t know President Roosevelt was in a wheelchair until after his death. Was it challenging to figure out where these would fit? Did you have a file of historical facts you wanted to include and couldn’t?

I didn’t have a file of historical facts, but now I wish I had!
For the most part, I researched the 1950s in general, then drew on that working knowledge as I drafted individual scenes. For instance, the scene in which I mentioned President Roosevelt has a reference to wheelchairs, so I tried to think of someone in a wheelchair that Ella Mae would have known. President Roosevelt came to mind, and it was only as I was fact-checking myself that I discovered the general public didn’t know the full details of his condition until after his death.

Read the entire interview on MICHELLE I. MASON'S blog.

The Sound of Life and Everything by Krista Van Dolzer

1 comment:

  1. I was so excited to see this book as a giveaway. I've been wanting to read it ever since I read about it. Great interview, too.

    ReplyDelete